Penetrant Inspector Trainee
Fort Worth, Texas
Entry level/trainee position for penetrant inspector with little to no experience. Works under the direct supervision of a SPD Certified Level 2 or 3 Penetrant Inspector while gaining work experience and knowledge to prepare and process parts through penetrant inspection process.
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1. Immerse, paint or spray parts with fluorescent penetrant and let penetrant dwell on parts for a specified amount of time.
2. Water rinse penetrant from parts, dry parts and develop parts per SPD procedures so a SPD Certified Penetrant Level 2 or 3 Inspector can inspect parts.
3. Obtain work experience and knowledge while working directly under SPD Certified Penetrant Level 2 or 3. Becomes familiar with all codes, standards and other contractual documents that control the penetrant process while training.
4. Performs all required process checks as instructed while working under the direct supervision of a Certified Penetrant Level 2 or 3 Inspector.
5. Perform all job duties in accordance with SPD safety guidelines, including use of MSDS sheets as required.
6. Support co-workers as assigned by department Supervisor, Lead or Certified Penetant Level 3.
7. Perform preventive maintenance on penetrant equipment as instructed and required per SPD procedures.
Secondary Responsibilities/Non Essential Functions:
- Maintains a satisfactory high level of performance while following appropriate procedures and observing all pertinent safety rules and requirements
- Maintains appropriate knowledge and ability levels to efficiently perform all assigned work and utilizes this knowledge base to become proficient on new/unfamiliar assignments
3. Observes all company policies and procedures, including safety rules, and maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Actively participates in lean/continuous initiatives by identifying and providing suggestions on areas for improvement. Applies lean concepts and tools in work areas.
5. Maintain high ethical/quality standards in all assigned work.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Qualifications (relevant experience, education and training):
1. Requires high school diploma or equivalent and 1 year of recent plant experience at Stratoflex with moderate understanding of the overall production process. Applicants having successfully completed 32 hours of Penetrant Classroom Training per NAS-410 requirements will be preferred over plant experience.
2. Must be able to understand codes, standards, and other contractual documents that control the method utilized.
3. Able to effectively demonstrate team member competencies and participates in goal setting, performance feedback, and self-development activities.
4. Must have the ability to understand commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the field.
5. Must have the ability to learn how to interpret reports and use job specific software applications. Able to use employee self-service systems to access on-line information and use specialized automated systems (i.e. PMR, TORS, email)
6. The person in this position frequently communicates with co-workers about work product and processes and must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations. Must be able to read and understand written instructions, procedures, drawings and blueprints. Demonstrates effective interpersonal communication skills as well as the ability to work in a team environment.
7. Must have the ability to complete a minimum of 32 hours of Penetrant Classroom Training per NAS-410 requirements to become eligible for Penetrant Level 2 Certification.
8. Must have the ability to complete a minimum of 400 hours of penetrant on the job training to become eligible for Penetrant Level 2 Certification
9. Requires Vision examination per the requirements of QCS-131.
10. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to utilize computer to access specifications and complete Penetrant Inspection reports. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Typical Mental and Physical Demands:
The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the plant to transition parts through the assigned work areas. The team member frequently remains in a stationary position. The team member has occasional exposure to dust, gas, fumes and noise and frequently moves materials weighing up to 25 lbs. around the plant.