San Antonio, TX | Temp/Contract to Direct
The Aerospace Sheet Metal Technician works under minimal supervision to safely lay-out and fabricate parts following established operating procedures. All work performed should be in accordance with design specifications, quality standards and completed work should meet customer expectations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Fabricates components by analyzing requirements; collecting materials; operating equipment.
• Develops sheet metal projects by analyzing work orders, prints, and completed assembly; calculating requirements; determining appropriate methods; sketching
• Utilizing tools as required to shape and form complex angles and configurations according to blueprint specifications or written/verbal information.
• Safely operate shop equipment such as: brakes, presses, riveting equipment, shears, and hand tools associated with sheetmetal functions. Use the proper hardware for various sheetmetal applications.
• Comply with all safety, 5S, and housekeeping policies. Uses personal protective equipment as required. Ensures aircraft is protected (PTP).
• Collects materials by studying specifications and component requirements; ordering supplies.
• Fabricates components by using equipment to cut, form, and fasten pieces.
• Verifies results by inspecting and testing components.
• Maintains safe work environment by following and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
• Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
• Accomplishes manufacturing and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
• Requires basic comprehension in reading, interpreting engineering drawings, repair manuals and related technical data and thorough knowledge of and skill in the use of tools and techniques of rework and repair of sheet metal fabricated structures.
• Requires a good knowledge of shop mathematics, ability to lay out, form, shape, and/or fit and assemble multi-contoured parts using such precision instruments as micrometers, calipers, dividers, dial indicators, levels, protractors, clinometers, gauges and rulers, and such metal working tools as hand and powered sheers, brakes, rolls, mallets, forming blocks, hand saws, grinders, sanders, files, a wide variety of pneumatic drills, rivet guns, and blind fastener tools.
• Requires a thorough knowledge of various machinery to include band saws, hydraulic and manual press brakes, hydraulic and manual shears, shrink/stress press, turret punch, etc.
• Requires thorough knowledge of various aluminum, steel, and stainless-steel alloys and heat treating properties for use on aircraft structures.
• Requires a thorough knowledge of aircraft structural hardware (including applications and techniques of preparation and installation) such as solid, tubular, and explosive rivets, cherry max rivets, standard and special aircraft bolts, nuts, and washers, anchor nuts, hi-locks, fasteners, screws, airlock and fasteners, and variety of other structural fasteners.
• Experience working within an ISO quality environment.
• Post-secondary education and/or combination of relevant work experience to successfully meet the key criteria of the position.
Experience & General Characteristics:
• Minimum 2 years’ experience working in a manufacturing environment
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Safety - The company enforces a safety culture whereby all employees have the responsibility for continuously developing and maintaining a safe work environment. As appropriate, each employee is responsible for completing all training requirements and fulfilling all self-aid/buddy aid responsibilities.
Quality - It is our policy to consistently provide services that meet customer expectations. Accordingly, each employee must conform to the Quality Policy and carry out job activities in compliance with applicable Quality System documents and customer contracts. Each employee must read and understand his/her Quality Management and Customer Satisfaction responsibilities.
Procedure Compliance - Each employee must read, understand, and implement the general and specific operational, safety, quality, and environmental requirements of all plans, procedures, and policies pertaining to his/her job.
Physical Demands – This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 40 pounds.