Tube Bender / Saw Operator
Fort Worth, Texas
Fabricates and assembles basic tubing components for air, fuel, oil, hydraulic, and related systems of aircraft and spacecraft, according to specifications, using hand tools, power tools, rotary draw tube bending machines (semi-automatic), band saws, measuring instruments, and measuring systems. Performs work under direct supervision or with guidance of more experienced team member.
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1. Reads work order, blueprints, sketches, and bend data charts, or works from master tubing templates to determine tubing dimensions, configuration, and finish specifications.
2. Establishes basic and moderately complex trim lines of parts and relationship of parts to each other, using master tube data, master template, and measuring systems.
3. Sets up and operates variety of manual and power machines such as band saws to cut, form, swage, flare, and burr tubing according to specifications.
4. Performs single bend operations using the semi automatic tube bender.
5. Attaches fittings, such as nuts, sleeves, collars, and caps, to tubing components, using hand tools and machines.
6. Aligns, fits, and assembles tubing components in jigs and fixtures for subsequent welding.
7. Measures and inspects tubing components for conformance to customer and Stratoflex requirements using the following devices, height gauge, bevel protractor, calipers, ball gauges, stanchions, fixtures, CMM, Aicon System and visual controls.
8. Tests tubing assemblies for leaks and other defects, using pressure-testing equipment.
9. Marks identifying information on tubing, using electro-chemical etching device, label, or other method.
10. Cleans and lubricates tubing and assemblies.
11. Removes minor imperfections by use of mechanical or manual methods according to approved process instructions
Secondary Responsibilities/Non Essential Functions:
1. Actively participates in lean initiatives by identifying and providing suggestions on areas for improvement. Applies lean concepts and tools in work areas.
2. May assist in training less experienced team members.
3. Observes all company policies and procedures, including safety rules and maintains clean, orderly and foreign object damage (FOD) free work area.
4. Ensures all equipment is calibrated in accordance with calibration schedule.
5. Runs bump machine.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Qualifications (relevant experience, education and training):
1. Requires High School Diploma or equivalent and one year of related experience including degreasing using solvents and aqueous degreasing methods, preparing tubing for bending and preparing tubing components for stock or transport. Must acquire certified operator stamp within one year in position.
2. Must be able to perform rigid tube processes, waterspider processes, and band saw processes with limited assistance.
3. Performs basic mathematical calculations, as well as demonstrate effective verbal, written, and basic computer skills.
4. The person in this position frequently communicates with co-workers about work product and processes and must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations. Must be proficient at reading and understanding written instructions, procedures, blueprints, route sheets and test specifications. Demonstrates effective interpersonal communication skills as well as the ability to work in a team environment.
5. Possesses strong mechanical reasoning skills.
6. Able to implement and effectively apply lean/continuous improvement initiatives.
7. Must be able to work within precise limits or standards of accuracy.
8. Able to interpret reports and use standard business software applications. Able to use employee self-service to access on-line information and use specialized automated systems (i.e. PMR, TORS, e-mail).
9. Ability to effectively demonstrate team member competencies and participate in goal setting, performance feedback, and self-development activities.
Typical Mental and Physical Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is frequently required to move about inside the plant to operate machinery. The team member occasionally remains in a stationary. The team member is required to operate manual machining equipment, plant machinery and tools to assemble parts and use test equipment. Must be able to detect and identify parts and tools and inspect work for defects and accuracy. Also expected of the team member is regular attendance, the ability to work cooperatively and professionally with others. May be required to move parts or equipment weighing up to 10 pounds distances of up to 30 feet. The team member may be exposed to various solvents and lubricants as well as extremes in temperature or humidity.