CNC Lathe Operator 2nd Shift
Fort Worth, Texas
Position Summary: Sets up and operates CNC lathes/mills on all product parts with proven and unproven programs. Produces machined fittings per blueprint specifications and work instructions. Perform routine preventative maintenance on equipment. Contributes to lean initiatives to increase productivity and reduce costs. Works independently with minimum guidance in a team environment.
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1. Runs multiple machines efficiently, which may require simultaneous operations. Adapts or improvises tooling to accomplish results where operations require a broad knowledge of production machining technology, operating skills, and shop techniques together with diversified experience.
2. Proves out and edits programs as needed.
3. Sets ups, adjusts, and operates a variety of conventional and/CNC lathes/mills to perform the most diversified and difficult production operations on work having close and exact tolerances, several dimensional relationships, unusual contours, dimensional and finish requirements.
4. Interprets customer requirements from blueprints, complex drawings, engineering specifications, quality directives, charts, tables, sketches, and verbal instructions.
5. Interfaces with engineering to resolve drawing errors, suggest design changes, and solve product/process problems.
6. Implements manufacturing methods using standard production machines, materials, and tooling. May advise and assist with tooling design.
7. Makes complex setups, which may include multiple work piece stations, utilizing custom and standard holding devices.
8. Develops and defines processes with limited documentation, as required.
9. Trouble shoots and resolves machining problems.
10. Responsible for machining and checking parts to maintain a high level of quality and efficiency.
11. Inspects finished parts for conformance to specifications by visual examination, and utilizes precision measuring instruments such as gages, calipers, micrometers, comparators, and surface plate techniques. May be required to use coordinate measuring machine (CMM). Ensures equipment is calibrated in accordance with schedule.
12. Routinely maintains equipment to ensure cleanliness, accuracy, and reliability specific to division requirements.
13. Uses advanced shop mathematics, which may include trigonometry, and general knowledge of metal characteristics and other processing requirements.
14. Trains and mentors less experienced team members.
Qualifications (relevant experience, education and training):
1. Requires High School Diploma or equivalent and five or more years related machining experience in a high technology manufacturing environment. Able to work with minimum supervisory guidance in a team environment.
2. Able to set up and run a minimum of five CNC machine types.
3. Handles multiple tasks with changing priorities to meet customer needs.
4. May require specialized certification specific to division requirements (i.e. certified operator).
5. Reads, understands, and follows blueprints, complex drawings, engineering specifications, and informal written or verbal instructions.
6. Able to make and evaluate precision machine set ups on a minimum of five CNC machine types.
7. Has working knowledge of advanced shop mathematics, may include trigonometry.
8. Able to implement lean/continuous improvement initiatives.
9. Must be able to read and understand written and verbal instructions, procedures, drawings and blueprints.
10. Demonstrates effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, as well as the ability to work in a team environment on research and solution development.
11. Possesses effective mentoring and training skills and ability to serve as a resource to other team members.
12. Interprets reports and uses job specific software applications. Able to use employee self-service systems to access on-line information and use specialized automated systems (i.e., PMR, TORS, e-mail).
13. Effectively demonstrates team member competencies and participates in goal setting, performance feedback, and self-development activities.