Defense Contract Cost Accountant
San Antonio, TX
Our company is a leading provider of high-performance products, system solutions, and support services focusing on the defense, homeland security, commercial aviation, and medical instrumentation markets.
Under minimal guidance, perform accounting activities for maintaining a complete and accurate project
cost ledger (PCL) and general ledger. Perform accounting transactions, entries, reconciliations, and
analysis of inventory, sales, and cost of sales financial data. Coordinate and compile monthly financial data by working closely with Business Units and corporate headquarters and works cross-functionally with a focus on process improvements and streamlining information for consistency, leading to more efficiencies in review processes. Support the company’ s SOX and financial audits.
- Run Oracle processes to interface labor and material costs into the Oracle Project Module and to the General Ledger.
- Perform periodic, at least monthly, PCL to GL reconciliation and perform any necessary adjustments.
- Prepare, maintain, and issue inventory reports to ensure accurate reporting of contract costs.
- Work with the Business Units to compile the corporate monthly forecasts, checking and verifying compiled numbers to the Business Unit inputs, and providing accurate data to corporate headquarters.
- Maintain contract revenue and cost of sales adjustments with support from the Business Unit Controllers.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements, streamlining, and automating to reduce the level of effort in daily work routines and to improve efficiencies in management reviews.
- Prepare the monthly net inventory report by business unit and project, reconciled to the General Ledger.
- Assist in the Oracle reburdening (overhead absorption) process.
- Prepare absorbed overhead rate calculations monthly.
- Assist in the preparation of the warranty reserve quarterly.
- Prepare monthly journal entry transactions for accurate financial statements and reports.
- Responsible for monthly and quarterly inventory account reconciliations.
- Maintain the integrity of labor reporting and correction of gap time (incomplete labor hours reporting).
- Review accuracy and completeness of supporting documentation for revenue calculations on percentage of completion contracts, with initial guidance and training from manager and working with business unit finance.
- Perform other related duties and projects as assigned.
EXPERIENCE, SKILL, AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Expert Level in Microsoft Excel
- ICP Experience
- Experience with Oracle preferred
- Experience with FAR, DFAR and DCAA regulations
- Experience working cross-functionally with business unit finance teams
- Experience in a Job Cost/Projects accounting environment preferred
- DoD experience strongly preferred
- Strong analytical skills
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or similar and 3-5 years of related
experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.