Quality Control Technician
San Antonio, TX
Serves as an assistant to perform various routine tests and analyses on materials sampled throughout the production process. Performs tests on aggregates, bituminous mixtures and concrete as directed requiring the use of specialized testing equipment, as well as other necessary tasks. Positions available in New Braunfels and Pecos, Texas.
Principal Duties and Accountabilities (*Essential Functions)
• Performs tests on materials including gradation, material properties, weights, moistures and other essential tests.
• Reviews test results to see ensure completeness and that all required information is properly documented and reported to the proper plant and to the quality control manager.
• Reviews procedures used to determine if results have properly utilized data collected and provides unbiased estimate of the conditions being observed.
• Performs special analysis as required and suggests plant adjustments as necessary to ensure material quality.
• Maintains a clean work area, including tools and machinery, vehicles and plant labs. Is punctual to work, and practices good safety techniques.
• Drives company truck between plants in order to perform job duties.
Educational Skills and Experience:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Successful completion of high school or GED certificate is required due to the complexity of assigned tasks.
• Must be proficient in using computers, including Microsoft office software: outlook, excel and word.
• Lab experience in a construction supplies or material experience is highly desired.
• Must have clean and valid driver's license due to driving company truck between plant locations.
• Requires a basic knowledge and understanding of statistical concepts and the theory and practice of random samplings.
• Requires the ability to communicate clearly and establish and maintain effective and compatible working relationships with manager and co-workers.
• Must be able to read, understand and obey all safety rules and regulations, equipment operating instructions and danger notices, as well as be able to take direction from supervisor and understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
• Must effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
• Must have good analytical and troubleshooting skills.
• Must have an excellent safety record and be a very safe employee.
• Ability to supervise own work and be self-motivated.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Subject to working at various plant locations and in various lab environments. Work is performed outdoors in all types of weather on a daily basis, as well as around moving objects and machinery. Subject to handling materials such as acids, detergents, soaps, kerosene, linseed oil and waxes. Work terrain varies to include flat, sloped or uneven surfaces and at heights or tight places. Working outdoors may involve exposure to changing temperatures, temperature extremes (high or low), varying weather conditions, dirt, dust, humidity, noise, smells and vibration, therefore must be able to properly wear and use personal protective equipment as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Job requires lifting items 10-70 pounds routinely. 10-25 pounds 25% of shift, 25-70 pounds 10% of the shift.
• Full range of motion for all extremities/spine
• Ability to perform tasks on rough, uneven surfaces and terrain in often wet/damp conditions
• Work on stairs, ladders, raised platforms, flat and angled surfaces at varying heights
• Frequent and prolonged standing, walking, kneeling, climbing ladder and stairs, bending, stooping, squatting, crawling, twisting, reaching, grasping for periods extending to twelve (12) hours.
• Oriented X3 to hear with ability to discriminate between sound and maintain awareness of surroundings
• Ability to work safely in and around often congested areas often in a fast paced environment
• Ability to work safely in and around moving machine components such as belt drives, conveyor belts, and drive shafts.
• Ability to work outside, tolerate ambient seasonal temperature extremes, humidity, and generally dry/dusty conditions
• Ability to work in confined and tight work areas as well as move heavy objects in tight areas.
• Ability to recognize and eliminate workplace hazards within reasonable means to avoid personal injury or property damage. Ability to tolerate exposure to chemicals, solvents, fumes, acids, grease and fuels
• Ability to function in areas with excessive ambient noise levels
• Ability to use/wear personal protection equipment, respirators, hearing protection, gloves, protective eyewear, hardhats, protective clothing and industrial footwear.