RNI (Receiving Inspector)
Fort Worth, Texas
With limited guidance in a team environment, responsible for the inspection of various semi-complex parts, tools, and instruments for conformance to specifications and quality standards.
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
Responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date acceptance and rejection records and/or certifications systems as required by the applicable specifications.
- Determine acceptance or rejection after inspection and/or calibration of parts, tools, and instruments. Identify defective conditions and test failures and prepare all appropriate documentation and/or calibration history.
- Perform semi-complex inspection of components and shelf-life items, using a wide variety of measuring instruments to determine acceptability or rejections of parts and/or parts finish.
- Perform inspection on the assembled product using a wide variety of measuring and test equipment to determine acceptability or rejections of parts and/or parts finish.
- Identify product and send samples out for periodic testing to outside laboratory.
- Adapt and develop inspection set-ups to check sample parts, forgings, and castings. Check tool and jig layouts.
- Perform first article and envelope inspection, source inspections, and/or semi-complex surface plate set-ups.
- Interpret specifications, records, charts, manuals, and other data to arrive at acceptance or rejection. Use mathematics to convert blueprint dimension and tolerances. Work within the guidelines of drawings, schematics, blueprints, route sheets, travelers, quality directives, technical engineering specifications, customer's requirements, and military standards.
- Layout and measure hole locations and centerlines on castings, forgings, and machine parts to maintain control of machining cycle during manufacture.
- Determine acceptance or rejection after inspecting parts, tools, or instruments. Identify the causes of defective conditions and test failures and prepare all appropriate documentation.
- Investigate cause of customer return failures. Perform inspections to applicable specifications within assembly, test and shipping departments. Assist customer/government source inspectors as necessary.
- Must be able to clearly communicate an internal audit procedure during internal and external audit situations.
- Verifies calibration of instruments and equipment.
- Performs calibration of check fixtures.
- NONDESTRUCTIVE TEST
- Perform daily, weekly and monthly equipment and material checks.
- Perform complete inspections in accordance with the applicable specifications, standards and other contractual documents.
- Interpret, evaluate and document inspection results in accordance with approved procedures.
Secondary Responsibilities/ Non-Essential Functions:
- Maintains appropriate knowledge and ability levels to efficiently perform all assigned work and utilizes this knowledge base to become proficient on new/unfamiliar assignments
- Observes all company policies and procedures, including safety rules, and maintains a clean and foreign object damage (FOD) free work area. Maintains a satisfactory high level of performance.
- Actively participates in lean/continuous initiatives by identifying and providing suggestions on areas for improvement. Applies lean concepts and tools in work areas.
- May be required to train other inspectors and certified operators.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Qualifications (relevant experience, education and training):
- Requires high school diploma or equivalent and 3-5 years related inspection, or calibration experience or demonstrated ability to perform described responsibilities.
- Previous experience performing First Article Inspection.
- Previous experience with ASO9102 and OD 8130
- 2 to 3 years of previous Source Inspector experience
- Able to implement and effectively apply lean/continuous improvement initiatives.
- Able to effectively demonstrate team member competencies and participate in goal setting, performance feedback, and self-development activities.
- Must be able to work within precise limits or standards of accuracy.
- Has knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within the field.
- Must be able to pass the required vision exam.
- Able to interpret reports and use job specific software applications. Able to use employee self-service systems to access online information and use specialized automated systems (i.e. PMR, TORS, email)
- The person in this position frequently communicates with co-workers about work product and processes and must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations. Must be able to read and understand written instructions and procedures. Demonstrates effective interpersonal communication skills as well as the ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Possess working knowledge of shop mathematics including trigonometry.
- Preferred experience of CMM operations, background in dimensioning and tolerancing per ANSI Y 14.5.
- Knowledge of applicable military standards or specifications required.
- May be required to obtain a forklift license.
- Proficient in reading and interpreting blueprints, customer's specifications, and internal drawings and procedures.
Typical Mental and Physical Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is frequently required to move about inside the plant to access tools, parts, and materials. The team member must be able to remain in a stationary position about half the time. The team member is required to use test equipment to inspect parts. Must be able to detect and identify parts and tools and inspect work for defects and accuracy. Also expected of the team member is regular attendance, the ability to work cooperatively and professionally with others. May be required to operate a forklift. May be required to move parts or equipment weighing up to 50 pounds for a distance of 30 feet.